The University of Sassari
The University of Sassari was founded in 1558 by Alessio Fontana, a distinguished gentleman of the Town of Sassari. The official launch dates back to May 1562, when the Jesuits started their activity as scholars and teachers for the local clergy.
Today, this medium-sized University, with over 12,000 students and around 700 scholars, consists of 11 Departments, which also collaborate with a number of academic and research centers and institutes. In addition to its 50+ institutional courses, it also offers a wide range of post-graduate studies and research activities, including PhD courses, medical specialisation schools, advanced training programs and international exchange projects.
On Jan. 1st, 2012, the university organizational structure was redesigned in 13 Departments, namely:
- Architecture, design and city planning
- Chemistry and Pharmacy
- Business and Economics
- Clinical and experimental medicine
- Veterinary medicine
- Biomedical sciences
- Surgical, microsurgical and medical sciences
- Natural and land sciences
- Political sciences, Communication and information engineering
- Humanities and social sciences
- History, human sciences and education