EU citizens

Certificate of fiscal residence

An academic who cooperates with our University will be subject to the Italian taxation. However, if he/she wants to avoid a double taxation, both in Italy and in his/her country of residence, it is possible to claim the International Convention against double taxation

The Convention states that the beneficiary pays tax in the country of residence; it also allows the State granting the payment to levy taxes thereon, but within well-defined limits.

Registration of EU citizens

Pursuant to the Legislative Decree no. 30/20087 regulating entry, stay and free movement, EU citizens can travel freely and stay in Italy and in other EU countries for a period not exceeding 3 months without any formalities. They just need a document valid for travel abroad.

They can report their presence to the local Police authorities filling out the declaration of presence form .
They will be issued a duly stamped copy that must be shown whenever requested by Police. 
If they fail to comply with the obligation to report they will be deemed to stay in Italy for a period exceeding 3 months.

EU citizens who intend to stay in Italy for a period exceeding 3 months for self-employment must register with the local Anagrafe (registry office) for the district they reside in. 
Documents needed for the registration should attest that they work, have sufficient financial resources as well as they are covered by a health insurance policy for the length of their stay.

Healthcare service for EU citizens

The Healthcare Service is guaranteed to all European citizens who have the European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) obtained in your home country from your national healthcare authority.

This card allows all EU citizens who are temporarily in another Member State (whatever the reason for the stay), the direct access to healthcare services in the host country, under the same conditions of residents, merely by showing thel Card.

With the European Health Insurance Card citizens receive medical or hospital care without visiting the Local Health Department (ASL).

The card can be used for medical assistance in all the countries of the European Union as well as in Switzerland and in the countries of the European Economic Area (EEA): Iceland, Norway and Liechtenstein.