Non-EU citizens


Non EU citizens who intend to temporarily cooperate with the University of Sassari need a SELF-EMPLOYMENT VISA. 
The requested documents are:

  • Visa application form;
  • recent passport-style photo;
  • Passport valid for at least three months after visa expiry date;
  • Certification, issued by the competent Labour Inspection Service of the Italian DPL (Provincial Labour Office), that the work contract does not constitute subordinate employment;
  • "Nulla osta" (entry clearance) issued by the competent Italian Police Headquarters;
  • Copy of the contract to be formalized.

The documents relating to 4, 5, 6 will be sent to the Visiting Professor applying for a visa.

Application for visa can be made at the Italian Diplomatic and Consular Representations in your country of residence.


Types of self-employment visas:

Uniform Schengen Visa: Short-stay visa for visits of up to a total of 90 days (Visa Type C). It allows transit and stay up to 90 days within the Schengen Area;

National Visa: Long-stay visa for more than 90 days (Visa Type D). It allows free movement within the Schengen Area for a period not exceeding 90 days per semester.

To find out if you need a visa or not, depending on your citizenship and the duration and reasons for your stay, how to apply and the addresses of the Diplomatic/Consular Representations where you can file your application, please see:

Declaration of presence

According to the Law 68, 28/05/2007, foreigners who come to Italy for periods not exceeding 3 months, either they need a visa or not, are not required to apply for a residence permit. 
The residence permit is substituted by a declaration of presence on the Italian territory.

For foreign citizens coming from non-Schengen states, the declaration of presence is satisfied by the uniform Schengen stamp on their travel documents on the border when entering Italy .

Foreign citizens arriving from other Schengen states will have to report their presence to the local Questura (central police station in the province) within 8 days of their arrival in Italy.

For foreigners staying in a hotel, evidence of their presence is the registration form submitted to the hotel management and signed by the foreign guests on arrival. The hotel will provide a copy of this form to the foreign guest who can show it to police officers, if requested.

Residence permit

Non EU-citizens who intend to stay in Italy for more than 90 days have to apply for a residence permit within 8 days from their entry.

Following documents are requested:

  • Yellow Kit "Richiesta di rilascio/rinnovo del permesso/carta di soggiorno per cittadini stranieri" provided by local post offices;
  • Euro14.62 revenue stamp ;
  • valid passport or any other equivalent travel document bearing an entry visa;
  • photocopy of all pages of your passport or equivalent travel document;
  • declaration of the University of Sassari certifying that the Visiting Scholar has been invited by UNISS, with the indication of the dates of stay;
  • declaration related to availability of suitable accommodation;
  • 4 recent and identical passport-size photographs with white background;
  • receipt of the postal bulletin of euros 27,50 - to be paid at the post office - for release of electronic residence permit. If you are asking for a residence permit up to one year, you will have to pay additionally 80 euros.

The open envelope containing the above mentioned documents will be submitted to one of the Post Offices in Sassari providing the "Sportello Amico" service by showing a valid identification document:

  • SASSARI CENTRO, VIA BRIGATA SASSARI, 11, +39 0792019311 
  • SASSARI 2, VIA BOGINO, 7, +39 079 240290 
  • SASSARI 5, VIA LUNA E SOLE 8/A, +39 079 3756231 

The Post Office will send the Yellow Kit to the Police Headquarters (Questura) under a post charge of €30.00.

Once your kit has been mailed at the Police Headquarters you will be given a receipt certifying the submission of your application. Please always keep the receipt with you, along with your passport, to be shown the police upon request. The receipt includes a user id that will enable you to check the status of your application at the Police website . 
You will also receive a slip asking you to report to the Police Headquarters - Immigration Office - on a given date to leave fingerprints.

Healthcare service for non-EU citizens

Non EU-citizens can register in the Servizio Sanitario Nazionale (National Healthcare Service) free of charge if they have a residence permit.
Registration in the mandatory health insurance is free and takes place at the competent ASL aid for the residence area. 
It allows to choose a general practitioner among the list of physicians available. The foreigner will contribute to medical services as an Italian citizen.

For the registration you need a residence permit - or the receipt of application - and the Italian tax code.

Non EU-citizens staying in Italy less than 90 days cannot enroll in the SSN. They will have to provide for their own for a healthcare insurance valid on the Italian territory. Anyway they will make use of urgent health services upon payment of regional charges.