Capacity-building projects in the field of higher education support the modernisation, accessibility and internationalisation of higher education in Partner Countries. These projects build on the success of the Alfa, Edu-link and Tempus programmes.
The projects aim to encourage cooperation between the EU and Partner Countries and support eligible Partner Countries in addressing challenges in the management and governance of their higher education institutions. This includes improving the quality of higher education, developing new and innovative education programmes, modernising higher education systems through reform policies as well as fostering cooperation across different regions of the world through joint initiatives.
There are 2 types of capacity-building projects:
- Joint projects: aimed at organisations to help improve curriculums, governance, and the strengthening of relations between higher education systems.
- Structural projects: aimed at promoting reforms in higher education systems, modernising policies, governance and strengthening relations between higher education systems and the wider economic and social environment.
Capacity-building projects can be:
- National projects involving institutions from only one eligible Partner Country
- Multi-country projects within one single region, involving at least two countries from this region
- Multi-country projects involving more than one region and involving at least one country from each region concerned