Mediterranean Universities Union
UNIMED, Mediterranean Universities Union, founded in the early 90s, is an Association of Universities from countries in the Euro-Mediterranean basin. UNIMED's main aim is to develop scientific and educational cooperation in the Euro-Mediterranean region, in order to contribute to the process of integration between the two Mediterranean shores. UNIMED collaborates with its network universities in several activities in different fields including among others tangible and intangible cultural heritage, economics, energy, environment, management of water resources, transports, health, media, new technologies, history, agriculture, tourism. The image that represents our association better is that of a University Without Walls.
UNIMED carries out the following activities in favour of the associated Universities:
- Promotion of the international dimension of universities.
- Planning and fund raising activities: information on call for proposals and opportunities offered by European and International organizations; partnerships research; technical assistance; planning; dissemination.
- Support to mobility of students, researchers and academics in the Euro-Mediterranean region.
- Technical assistance in the development of quality assurance in higher education.
- Establishment of thematic sub-networks, to encourage scientific cooperation in specific fields.
- Organization of national and international conferences, workshops, seminars and round tables.
- Training of academic and administrative staff of universities, with particular focus to the staff of the international relations offices.
In twenty-years experience, UNIMED favoured university cooperation throughout the Mediterranean, thus becoming a reference institution for academic international cooperation.
International institutional cooperation
- European Investment Bank (EIB): In May 2007 the EIB and UNIMED signed a Memorandum of Understanding within the framework of the EIB University Networks. UNIMED has the task of promoting cooperation between the EIB and the Euro-Mediterranean universities.
- Marseille Centre for Mediterranean Integration (CMI): In March 2010 UNIMED established a collaboration with the CMI, a World Bank administered platform for multi?partner programs, within the Transports and Logistics Cluster (LOGISMED).
- UN Academic Impact: UNIMED is among the founding members of the Academic Impact, a program of the Outreach Division of the Department of Public Information of the United Nations, established in 2009 and open to all institutions of higher education.
- International Association of University Presidents (IAUP): In May 2010 UNIMED signed a Memorandum of Understanding with IAUP, an Association founded in 1964 in Oxford, England, that gathers university chief executive officers from higher education institutions around the world.
Headquarters & regional offices
Headquarter: Palazzo Baleani, Corso Vittorio Emanuele II n. 244, Rome, Italy
- UNIMED Regional Office, hosted by the An-Najah National University of Nablus, Nablus, An-Najah, Palestine
- Università del Salento, Lecce, Italy
- Palermo, Italy