The strategic goal of EcoFINDERS is to support European Union soil policy making by providing the necessary tools to design and implement strategies for sustainable use of soils, including:
- Characterisation of the biodiversity of European soils and the normal operating range (NOR) according to soil types, threats, climatic zones and land uses.
- Determination of relationships between soil biodiversity, functioning and ecosystem services.
- Quantification of the economic values of soil ecosystem services.
- Evaluation of the impacts of human activities on soil biodiversity, functioning and services.
- Design of policy-relevant and cost-effective indicators for monitoring soil biodiversity, functioning and ecosystem services.
Title and acronym: Ecological Function and Biodiversity Indicators in European Soils - EcoFINDERS
Dates: from 01 Febreuary 2011 to 31 August 2014
Source of Funding: European Commission, Framework Programme 7
Role of NRD: partner
NRD Scientific responsible: Pier Paolo Roggero
NRD members and staff involved: Giovanna Seddaiu, Luigi Ledda
Keywords: Soil biodiversity, soil functions, ecosystem services, bioindicators, microorganisms, fauna, environmental economy, long term observatories