1 - The Visiting scholar cannot meet the dates of stay as reported in the call. Is it possible to postpone his/her period of stay?
The period of stay is not fixed, so it can be scheduled again according to the Visiting Professor/Scientist and the host Department's requirements, within the deadline of the Programme.

2 - How long does a Visiting Professor have to perform his/her scheduled activity?
From the publication of the list of candidates, approved with resolution of the Board of Directors, to the deadline of the Programme, usually fixed at the end of the first week of July of the following year. The application terms and the corresponding dates of expiry are communicated through an official letter to the whole University staff.

3 - Can a Visiting Professor carry out his/her activity throughout the year?
The Visiting Professor can carry out his/her didactic and research activity throughout the year, with the exception of the month of August.

4 - How to behave if the Visiting Professor/Scientist cannot come and carry out the scheduled activity?
The Visiting Professor will prepare an official resignation letter, where he/she will declare to be unable to participate in the Programme. This note will be sent by mail to visiting@uniss.it

5 - What is the main difference between the two types of stay included in the "Visiting Professor/Scientist Rules": the short term visits and the long term visits?
The main difference depends on the type of activity to be carried out, according to the Department's requests. 
The short visits are divided into modules - a minimum of 6 days to a maximum of 18 days; cooperation in didactics or research with the Department will be more concentrated and mainly consist of lectures, seminars, abstracts.
The long term visits are from a minimum of 1 month to a maximum of 6 months; the activities will require more extended performing times for preparing lectures and seminars, carrying out research and laboratory activities in team with UNISS scholars, monitoring students' research and project works.

6 -On which criteria are the different sums for the short visits based?
The amount for short visits are established on the basis of the Visiting Professor/Scientist's continent of origin. 
For more details, please see Art. 12 and Attachment II of the Visiting Professor/Scientist Rules.

7 - On which criteria are the different amounts for long visits based?
The amount for a "long" Visiting scholar is assigned on the basis of his/her professional qualification: Euro7,000 for a Senior Visiting (corresponding to a full professor), Euro 5,000 for a Junior Visiting (corresponding to an associate professor) and Euro 3,000 for a Research Associate (corresponding to a researcher).
The conformity of the profiles requested in the call with curricula and titles arrived will be evaluated by a departmental committee.
For more details please refer to Art. 11 and Attachment I of the Visitng Professor/Scientist Rules.

8 - Is it possible to reduce the length of stay to less than 6 days?
According to Art. 12 of the Rules, the minimum length of stay is 6 days, corresponding to a module. So, a reduction of this module is not possible.

9 - What happens if the Visiting cannot carry out all the required modules of stay?
In this case, only the modules actually performed will be paid; the Department will return funds relating to the unfinished modules.

10 - Why do we indicate the only funding amount in the invitation letter sent to the Visiting Professors? 
In the invitation letter we report the total funding amount assigned to the Visiting Professor/Scientist. The actual sum paid will differ depending on whether the Visiting will take advantage of the International Convention against double taxation or not.

11- What does the presentation of a certificate of fiscal residence imply at the moment of signing the contract?
It implies the accession to the International Bilateral Convention against double taxation, undersigned between the Visiting Porfessor/Scientist's country of fiscal residence and Italy. In this case, the Visiting Scholar chooses not to pay taxes in Italy on the sum received, but in his/her country of residence; however, the sum paid will be subject to some deductions provided for by Italian law.

12 - Which advantages or disadvantages does the submission of the certificate of fiscal residence imply?
That depends on the tax treatment applied in the Visiting Professor/Scientist's country of origin. For a more detailed evaluation of fiscal advantages, we suggest the scholar to inform him/herself at the local tax authorities.

13 -Can the Visiting Professor require an advanced payment for travel expenses?
As the amount - which includes travel expenses and living costs - is fully paid as remuneration at the end of the scheduled activity, it is not possible to grant an advance on travel or living costs.
However, the department can contribute to the costs from their own funds through co-funding quotas (Art. 13 of the Rules).

14 - When is the remuneration paid?
Payment will occur on termination of the scheduled activity at the University, as indicated in the contract and in compliance with the actual Italian regulations (Art. 63, 1 del D.L. 276/2003). 
However, taking into account the length of stay of long term Visiting Professors, the application of an advance (not exceeding the half of the whole amount at the moment of signing the contract) is possible.

15 - How does payment occur?
Payment occurs through transfer on an Italian or a foreign bank account, according to the bank data indicated at the moment of signing the contract. In the case of a foreign bank account, the SWIFT code is compulsory.

16 - To draw up a contract between the scholar and the University of Sassari, is the Italian personal tax code always necessary?
If the sum to be paid is less than or equal to Euro 5.000, the Italian tax code is not necessary. In the case where the amount exceeds Euro 5,000 you will be registered to separate INPS (National Institute of Social Security), for which the tax code is necessary.

17 - Is the Visiting scholar covered by any insurance during his/her stay at our University?
All Visiting Scholars staying at the University of Sassari are covered by insurance against injury at work (INAIL) and against third-party damages (R.C.T.).
The Health Service is guaranteed to all European citizens who have their own European Health Insurance Card (EHIC).
With regard to non-European scholars staying for a period shorter than 3 months, they will have to provide themselves for a health cover. 
Non-European citizens with a residence permit longer than 3 months have to register themselves free of charge in the Servizio Sanitario Nazionale (= National Health Service) at the competent Asl (national health service local office) aid for their residence area.

18 - When is a visa application compulsory?
Non-EU citizens who intend to enter Italy generally have to show an entry visa.
Non-EU citizens who intend to work in Italy need a visa for self-employment, issued by the Italian Embassy or Consulate in their country of residence.
For information to find out if you need a visa, how to apply for it and the addresses of the Diplomatic/Consular Representations where you can file your application, please visit the web site furnished by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs: 

19 - When is the application for residence permit compulsory?
In the case of non-European citizens who intend to stay longer than 3 months in Italy. They will have to go to one of the Post Offices enabled for this procedure within 8 working days from their arrival.
For information regarding the issue of permits of stay, please refer to the official web site of the Italian National Police:  www.poliziadistato.it/articolo/view/10716/ 
We remind that, according to the Schengen agreements on the right to free internal movement, also citizens from Norway, Iceland, Liechtenstein and Switzerland belong to the European economic area. The residence permit for self-employment is guaranteed also for more than 3 months, if a health insurance is provided.