The course has a dual objective: (i) to provide an introduction to the main analytical tools available for studying populations; ii) to raise the awareness of the students about the demographic challenges that the planet will face in the next years.
Part I - What is demography and which tools do the demographers use?
- Data sources for the demography
-Size and structure of a population
- The analysis of the dynamics of the populations
- Tools for analysing mortality, fertility and migration
Part II - The demographic challenges for the planet
- The demographic transition
- Population growth and sustainable development
- Millenium Development Goals
- International migration
- The consequences of the aging of the population
Part I: Gian Carlo Blangiardo, Elementi di Demografia, Il Mulino (Editor): from p. 9 to p. 43, from p. 44 to p.62, from p. 67 to 114, from p. 128 to p. 160.
Part II: Massimo Livi Bacci, Il Pianeta Stretto, Il Mulino (Editor).
36 hours of frontal teaching. There are some hours of practical exercise.
The slides and materials distributed during the lessons are provided on the egiuriss platform.
The teacher is available for reception every Friday from 10.45 to 12.45 (or by agreed appointment). The reception is held at the Department of Economics and Business, Via Muroni 25, Room C3 (Third Floor).
Email address: gruiu@uniss