General information about the grapevine sanitary status, specific information on systemic diseases (viruses and phytoplasmas diseases) and deepening in symptomatology, etiology, epidemiology and crop protection. Monitoring in the field will provide a practical idea of field diagnosy, latency and recovery phenomenons. Futher, students will exercise in laboratory diagnostic techniques in order to detect the most dangerous grapevine pathogens (phytovirus and phytoplasmas) and their vectors. Meristem tip culture aimed to recover grapevine and eradicate virus agents will be acquired. Development of a disease control plan depending on weather and fenology.
Arthropod and nematode pests
-Background of the main biotic adversity of the vine in Sardinia to enable students who have not taken the exam of “Viticultural Entomology” to know the context in which the course will take place.
- Generalities on nematodes: Features of morphology, anatomy and biology. Nematodes of viticultural interest (cycle, damage, control). Main monitoring, extraction and control techniques.
- General information on mites: background of morphology, anatomy and biology. Mites of viticultural interest (cycle, damage, control).
- Special attention will be paid to direct and indirect monitoring techniques of the following pests: emipteran cicadellids (Jacobiasca libica, Empoasca vitis, Zygina rhamni) and pseudococcids (Planococcus ficus), lepidopteran tortricids (Lobesia botrana) e pyralids (Cryptoblabes gnidiella).
- Set-up of pest monitoring devices and placement of traps in field.
- Direct pest sampling techniques and periodic monitoring of traps and sampling carried out directly by students, acquiring thus expertise in the identification of pests.