Advanced and detailed understanding of the concept of a work of art (in particular works of literature), and the difference between artistic beauty and natural beauty.
Development of critical, interpretative and argumentative skills.
During the course, some examples of works of art, literature and films (a couple of films will be watched) will be illustrated with the aim of identifying the criteria which give artistic value to an intellectual product. Also, we will analyze the features of the “world” revealed by a work of art and we will clarify the links (if they exist) between works of art and the real world.
1) Carola Barbero, "Philosophy of Literature".
2) Hilary Putnam, "Literature, Science and Reflection".
3) Maurizio Ferraris, "Aesthetic Knowledge".
4) Hilary Putnam, "The Depths and Shallows of Experience".
5) Further texts pointed out in class.
Tutorship in English for Erasmus students.
Possibility of giving teaching material in English.
Possibility of doing exams in English.