- General features of viruses: definition of a virus. Classification and structure of viruses.
- Cell-virus relationships: replication, latency and persistence of animal viruses. Mechanisms of viral oncogenesis.
- Viral genetics: mutations, with reference to the arising of variants and to pharmaco-resistance.
- antiviral defense mechanisms.
- Pathogenesis of viral infections.
- Control of viral infections: active and passive prophylaxis and therapy of viral infections.
- Principles of viral diagnostics and of virological methods.
- Unconventional viruses: prion diseases.
- Viral families of medical interest:
Herpesviruses: alpha, beta and gamma-herpesviruses.
Papillomaviruses and polyomaviruses.
Major Hepatitis viruses: HAV, HEV, HBV, HDV, HCV.
Picornaviruses: Enteroviruses, Rhinoviruses.
Human retroviruses: HTLV, HIV.