The goal of this course is to provide students with the competences and skills needed to be able to examine the main aspects of retail marketing and management, devoting particular attention to traditional marketing activities and trade marketing. At the end of the teaching module the student will have acquired:
- knowledge and comprehension: understanding the main characteristics of the different types of retail format, of the different evolutionary trajectories (particularly in in term of supply chain management), of the different types of retail services and retail marketing variables. Further, the student will acquire the knowledge needed to understand the role that the Information and Communication Technologies, Internet, social media and robotics play in retail management and marketing activities.
- ability to apply knowledge and ability of understanding: ability to apply the theoretical principles to real business problems, such as those related to strategic planning, promotion, assortment, merchandising, creation and development of private label.
- critical thinking: ability to apply the acquired knowledge to consciously interpret and evaluate the main problems related to retail marketing and management and to identify possible solutions (problem solving). The course will also allow students to develop the ability to identify and have access to different types of (academic and non-academic) information sources that can guide their decision making.
- communication skills: ability to use the specific terminology related to the discipline to describe the most relevant principles of retail marketing and to critically interpret and evaluate real business problems. Furthermore, the course will allow students to develop the communication skills (written and oral) implicit to the learning process. Specifically, this will be possible by: a) stimulating student-teacher and peer-to-peer verbal discussions about the retails marketing principles, b) requiring students (both sitting in the classes or not) to prepare a report developed to analyze a specific topic identified with the teacher.
- learning skills: the course provides the basis for learning the basic principles of retail marketing and will offer students with the background needed to attend advanced university courses.