The course aims at presenting the basic notions necessary for the analysis and the interpretation of tourism flows. The course will initially recall some fundamental concepts of statistics; the hypothesis testing theory and the linear regression model. Then, the course will present the description of the main international data sources for the study of tourism flows. In the last part, the course will tackle the analysis of the determinants of tourism flows through multiple regression analysis.
At the end of the class the student will get:
(1) The knowledge required to understand the positioning of a tourism firm on the market;
(2) The knowledge required to understand the evolution over time of tourism destinations;
(3) The ability of solving problems according to the procedure of statistical hypothesis testing;
(4) The ability to access data sources on tourism;
(5) The ability to make a decision based on data;
(6) The ability to use a statistical software (Excel, R) to make calculation or producing graphics;
(7) The ability to work in a computer lab.