Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, theoretical lessons will take place remotely on the Microsoft Teams platform. For information on how to access, write to firstname.lastname@example.org
• Principles of bio-security.
• Blood sampling techniques, identification, storage and transport of blood samples.
• The blood tubes commonly used in Veterinary Medicine.
• Choice of the laboratory, pre-analytical, analytical and interpretative errors.
• Reference intervals.
• Haematology: Automatic blood count: impedance and laser blood cell counters. The anaemias. Examination of the blood smear.
• Total proteins and electrophoresis of serum proteins. Major changes in serum and plasmatic proteins.
• Spectrophotometry: analytical evaluation of renal function, main alterations.
• Urine sampling techniques in horses, dogs and cats. Identification, storage and transport of urine samples. The examination of urine and urinary sediment, main alterations.
• Analytical evaluation of hepatic and pancreatic function.
• Cavity effusions sampling techniques. Identification, storage and transport of samples. Chemical-physical examination of cavity effusions.
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the practical activities will take place remotely on the Microsoft Teams platform. For information on how to access, write to email@example.com.
• Practical activity on blood smear preparation, morphological evaluation of erythrocytes, leukocytes and platelets. Differential leukocyte count. Execution of the microhematocrit and estimation of total proteins by refractometer. Physical chemical and urinary sediment examination. Interpretation and discussion of complete blood counts, biochemicals and electrophoresis.