To acquire basic knowledge on the role, the characteristics and functioning of public sector in the market economies following a normative and positive perspective Specifically, we study the welfare economy and the main theories of public choices; the role of the public sector in the event of market failures; public finance in Italy (institutions and main public finance indicators) at the Monetary Economic Union; taxes and their economic effects on producers, consumers and markets; the elements of the welfare state and its main spending programs.
At the end of the course the student will acquire:
(1) Knowledge and understanding of: functioning and characteristics of the public sector and relate policies in the market economies and in the framework of rules established by the UE.
(2) Ability to apply knowledge and understanding: ability of discriminating the need of public intervention, the types of public policies according to the related needs and their effects on the main macroeconomic variables, on the territory, and on individuals.
(3) Ability to make judgments: development of the ability of criticism, of collecting and interpreting data to the purpose of supporting arguments linked to the topics under study;
(4) Communication ability: ability to interact with others and to present results by using appropriate technical language and a scientific approach.
(5) Learning skills: development of the analytical skills, interpretation, critical thinking and communication skills that will be useful in a more advanced phase of the education process.