1. Classification of feedstuffs. Composition of feedstuffs; carbohydrates, proteins, lignin, ash, fat, secondary compounds. Chemical and NIRS methods to assess the composition of feedstuffs. Measurement of physical characteristics of feedstuffs.
2. Digestion, absorption and metabolism of nutrients in domestic animals, with special emphasis on ruminants. Nutritional requirements of domestic animals and methods for their estimation. Mechanism of feed intake control. Water intake.
3. Methods to evaluate the nutritional value of feedstuffs: measurement of in vivo and in vitro digestibility, degradation rates, nitrogen balance. Energy utilization in farm animals. Methods to express the energy and protein values of feedstuffs: The INRA methods. The NRC methods: Principles of the CNCPS method.
4. Animal feedstuffs: detailed classification, methods of conservation of forages; concentrate feeds and methods of productions; by-products; mineral and vitamin supplements. Principle of industrial compound feed production.
5. Principles of diet formulation.