- Introduction: terminology, anatomy and physiology. Animal feeds. Ethnology.
- Milk production: Dairy cows, sheep and goats: economic importance, main breeds and farming system in Italy and in Sardinia.
Parameters for assessing the efficiency of livestock production and management with respect to milk yield and quality. Management stratigies and their effects on milk quality, nutrition and milk quality
- Meat: physiology. Parameters of meat production; slaughter and carcass classification: the USDA beef grading and SEUROP system for beef and sheep.
- Beef cattle, meat sheep, pig, poultry: economic importance, main breeds raised in Italy and in Sardinia, farming systems, animal categories in the meat cattle farm. The Iberian and Sardinian pig.
- Eggs : economic importance and breeds; egg quality: farming principles, and genetic factors.
PRACTICES: visit a cattle, sheep, pig or poultry farm; a slaughtering house or a dairy plant.