The course has a dual objective: (i) to provide an introduction to basic concepts needed to study populations; ii) to raise the awareness of the students about the different demographic scenarios around the World and to offer a better understanding of the demographic challenges that the planet will face in the next years, and the economic and social issues tied to different demographic situations.
(1) Knowledge and ability to understand: ability to describe the demographic structure of a country through the use of appropriate indicators and to understand the links between demographic and economic variables.
(2) Ability to apply knowledge and understanding: understanding the main challenges that characterize the different areas of the world and understand their interconnections in an increasingly globalized world.
(3) Autonomy of judgment: the student will acquire a greater critical capacity regarding the information and judgments expressed often in a contradictory manner by the various available sources (newspapers, social media, national and international official reports, internet, etc.).
(4) Communication skills: the course aims to increase the ability to display demographic, economic and social data of students.
(5) Learning skills: Students will learn a set of knowledge that will improve their understanding of current demographic phenomena, to make judgments based on data, to evaluate the correctness of information reported by others, to attend more advanced courses.