- General characteristics of viruses. Structure and classification of viruses.
- Virus-cell relationships: replicative cycle of animal viruses; latency and persistence. Effects on host cell; viral oncogenesis.
- Pathogenesis of viral infections.
- Host defensive mechanisms.
- Virological diagnostics. Principles of antiviral therapy. Prevention of viral infections
Herpesvirus: alpha, beta and gamma-herpesvirus
Hepadnaviridae and hepatitis viruses
Papillomavirus and polio virus.
Human Retroviruses: HTLV, HIV.
Unconventional viruses: Viroids, prions.