- Overview on the anatomy of male and female reproductive organs.
- Reproductive endocrinology: hypothalamic-pituitary-gonad axis. Gonadotrophins, Steroid Hormones.
- Reproductive physiology: oogenesis and follicologenesis. Ovulation and formation of the corpus luteum. Spermatogenesis. . Reproductive cycle: estrus cycles and menstrual cycle.
Hormonal control of the ovarian cycle: Synchronization and superovulation techniques, artificial insemination (AI) and embryo transfer (ET).
-Overview of PMA techniques of 1st, 2nd and 3rd level.
-Laboratory of assisted reproduction techniques: equipment and materials.
-Ovum pick-up (OPU). Recovery of oocytes from ovaries . Qualitative evaluation of oocytes, establishment of in vitro maturation systems (IVM).
-Recovery, evaluation of semen. Establishing systems for in vitro fertilization (IVF, FIVET). Intracytoplasmic sperm injection (ICSI).
- Evaluation of the early stages of embryonic development and embryo quality. Establishment of In vitro Embryo Cultures (IVC).
Micromanipulation of oocytes and embryos; embryo splitting; cloning by nuclear transfer
- Conservation of gametes, embryos and ovarian tissue. Freezing and vitrification.