1. Introduction to materials science
2. Classification of materials
3. The atomic models. The Rutherford model. The Bohr model. Quantum numbers and electronic configurations
4. The atomic bonds
The periodic table. Atomic bonds in solids. Bonding forces and bonding energy. Ionic bonding. Covalent bond. Metallic bond. Secondary bonds. Induced dipoles. Permanent dipoles
5. The crystalline structure of the material. The unitary cell in crystals. Types of unitary cells. The atomic packing factor. The simple cubic structure.
The centered body cubic structure. The cubic structure with centered faces. The hexagonal structure. The Bravais gratings. Monocrystals
6. Defects in solids. Point defects. Self-interstitial and vacancy defects
Dependence of holiday temperature on balance. Impurities in crystalline solids. Metal alloys. Solid solutions. Linear defects. Edge and screw dislocations. Mixed dislocations. Interface defects
7. Points, planes and crystallographic directions. Crystallographic positions
The crystallographic directions. The crystallographic directions in the hexagonal cells. Crystalline planes
8. Diffusion. Definition of solid state diffusion. Diffusion mechanisms. Stationary and non-stationary diffusion. Factors influencing diffusion. Diffusion in semiconductor materials
9. Crystallization. The kinetics of phase transformations. Nucleation. The homogeneous nucleation. Heterogeneous nucleation. The growth. The kinetics of transformations as a function of time.
10. The manufacture of semiconductor materials.
11. Theory of bands and conduction. Ohm's Law. Electrical conductivity. Electronic and ion conduction. Band structures in solids. Conduction according to the band model. Electronic mobility. Electrical resistivity of metals.
12. Semiconductors. Classification of semiconductors. Intrinsic semiconductors. Intrinsic conductivity. Extrinsic semiconductors. Semiconductors of type n. Semiconductors of type p.
13. Diodes. The rectifier diode. Zener diode. The Schottky diode
14. Transistors. Bipolar junction transistors. The p-n-p and n-p-n junctions. The characteristics of the transistor. Gain and amplification
15. The parameters that influence the conductivity of semiconductors. Hall effect.
16. Field Effect Transistor (FET). Structure of an FET. I MOSFETS