The course aims to consolidate the students’ knowledge of English by introducing them to different written and spoken registers as well as aspects of grammar. A further objective is the introduction of B1+/B2 structures and both passive recognition of lexis and grammar as well as active language production. The final aim is to familiarise students with topic specific vocabulary and prepare students to study economic subjects in English.
The competencies acquired by the end of the course can be summarised as follows:
(1) Comprehend skills: understand business related texts and use appropriate strategies to look for information, understand key points in clear, brief, oral and written messages connected to the world of economy and business.
(2) Ability to apply knowledge and comprehension: use common business terminology, basic vocabulary and expressions. Listen to and understand business lessons and interviews in English.
(3) Learner independence: ability to give a simple description of experiences, feelings and events relating to the world of business.
(4) Communicative ability: Produce brief and simple business related texts.
(5) Ability to acquire knowledge: Be aware of the intercultural characteristics of global English and geographical variations.