- Basic concepts and definitions, properties and units, concepts and forms of energy, control volumes.
- Properties and phases of pure substance, phase-change processes, property diagrams and table, Ideal gas equation of state.
- Energy exchange classification, conservation of energy and first law of thermodynamics, analysis of energy balance for closed and open systems.
- Formulations of the second law of thermodynamics, reversible and irreversible processes, heat engines and Carnot cycles, entropy.
- Thermodynamic cycles: vapour power systems, gas power systems, refrigeration and heat pumps.
- Psychrometry: ideal gas mixtures and psychrometric applications for air conditioning.
- Introduction to heat transfer mechanisms
- Conduction: Fourier’s law and heat diffusion equation, steady-state and transient heat conduction, thermoelectric analogy, heat conduction on plane walls and in cylindrical coordinates.
- Convection: introduction to fluid dynamics, Bernoulli’s equation, laminar and turbulent flows, friction and pressure losses. Newton’s law of convection, calculation of the convection heat transfer coefficient.
- Radiation: fundamentals of radiative heat transfer, definition of black body, Plank’s law, Wien’s law and Stephan-Boltzmann’s law, view factors, properties of grey surfaces, analysis of radiative heat transfer between black and grey surfaces.