The aim of the module is to introduce students to the practical skills base for the preparation and maintenance of cell cultures under sterile conditions.
At the end of the course the student will be able to know how to organize a laboratory cell culture, maintain a continuous cell line in culture, count and plate the known amount of cells, frozen and thawed cells, capture and present images and movies of their cells in culture.
At the end of the course the student will know the main functions performed by the organs and the human body systems, with particular reference to the composition and functions of blood and the mechanisms that govern the coagulation. The student will also place special care in learning the main functional mechanisms of cardiovascular and respiratory apparatuses physiology.
The course provides an introduction to essential concepts of genetics. The coures objectives are:
- to learn the language and basic concepts of genetics
- to understand how traits are inherited
- to learn probability concepts and use these concepts to solve problems
- to understand how genetic problems may lead to disease
- to understand the molecular basis of genetics (including such topics as replication, transcription,
translation and mutation)
- to learn the basic concepts of population genetics