1. The Kingdoms of Life. Introduction to the classification of living organisms.
2. Biological macromolecules: lipids, proteins and nucleic acids.
3. The cellular theory: Structure and function of procaryotic and eukaryotic cells. Structural and functional differences. Viruses.
4. The flow of biological information: Concept of gene. DNA replication; transcription and productionf of RNAs; translation and post-translational modification of proteins; Introduction to the mechanisms of regulation of gene expression.
5. Cell cycle, mitosis, meiosis.
6. The evolution of living organisms: introduction to the darwinian concept of evolution and natural selection.