To have passed the exam of the course Molecular Biology
The course has as its primary objective to provide students with a general background on the main veterinary and zoonotic parasitic disease of interest, along with a theoretical study on the practical applications of biotechnology in diagnostics, taxonomy, epidemiology and control of the same.
- Introduction to the study of parasitology: principles of ecology; host-parasite relationship; evolution of virulence;
- Pathogenic mechanisms in parasitic diseases; defense reaction by the host against the parasite.
- Aspects of applied molecular parasitology (Diagnostics):
- Development of serological methods for the search of Ac or Ag (IFA, ELISA, etc.). Development of programs able to identify eggs according to their pattern
- Development of molecular biological methods for the detection and / or typing of parasites in the samples for the identification of species, strains and pathogenic variants undetectable by conventional techniques
- Most important parasistes of medical and veterinary interest
The slides and other materials used for lectures is made available to the students on the online moodle platform. Parassitologia e malattie Parassitarie degli Animali. Taylor, Coop e Wall, prima edizione italiana, EMSI, Roma.