1. Definition and Meaning of Hygiene
2. From health to sickness: The concept of health. Factors affecting the transition from health to sickness. Natural history of diseases
3. Epidemiology: definition, purpose and history. Sources of epidemiological data. Collection, processing and presentation of epidemiological data. Main measures in epidemiology. Types of epidemiological studies: descriptive, analytical, experimental. Risk assessment. Main health indicators.
4.General epidemiology of infectious diseases. Origin of infection, transmission, and development. Infectious diseases in the community
5. Prevention. Definition and intervention levels: primary, secondary and tertiary
6. General prophylaxis of infectious diseases. Indirect prophylaxis. Direct prophylaxis: on the patient, the environment, the healthy. Notification, quarantine and isolation, epidemiological investigation, diagnostic assessment. Disinfection, sterilization, disinfestation. Vaccine prophylaxis, serumprophylaxis, chemoprophylaxis.
7. Health promotion and Health education