To have passed the exam of the course Biochemistry
The teaching activity currently displayed is borrowed from the teaching activities listed below.
Click on here to view professor information, educational goals, etc.
At the end of the course the student will know cellular energy metabolism and the relationships between foods and cellular energy metabolism. He has also studied the nutrients (carbohydrates, lipids, proteins, vitamins, water and minerals), digestion and absorption processes of nutrients, and food sources of specific nutrients, an indispensable condition for planning a diet. Finally, the student will learn the main dietary suggestions in eating disorders and major metabolic and chronic dgenerative deseases.
- The metabolism. Direct and indirect calorimetry. Respiratory quotient and caloric equivalent. The baseline.
- The composition of the diet. Quantitative and qualitative aspects of diet composition.
- The food nutrients. Carbohydrates, lipids, proteins, vitamins, water and minerals. Digestion and absorption of nutrients.
- The water. Water as a food and as a nutrient. The mechanism of thirst and antidiuretic hormone. The mineral waters.
- The food of animal origin and foods of plant origin. Alcoholic drinks and nervine.
- Assessment of nutritional status. Overconsumption and unbalanced diet. The diet in malnutrition and associated diseases.
Mariani Costantini, Cannella, Tomassi. Fondamenti di Nutrizione Umana. Il Pensiero Scientifico Editore, last edition.
The sildes used for lectures are made available to the students.